Monday, June 16, 2008

Welcome Home Daddy


The plane has landed, the countdown clock is complete, and Daddy is safe at HOME in our arms again. Reunited as a family, the moment will forever be etched in my mind. We've waited so long for this day. And now it is finally here. Words cannot describe the outpouring of emotions we feel. After 15 months Daddy is finally home!


The outcome...priceless. What happened before hand, not so much how I pictured it. As I look back at it now I'm starting to see the humor in it. Hopefully I'll find it even more humorous as time goes by because in the moment it was kind of frustrating. Let me just fill you in on some of the details. Darryls return date has always been somewhat of a mystery to us, so I figured we wouldn't find out the official time he would arrive until right before the big event. This did seem to be the case as we were finding out the day before his arrival, that the plane would be landing at 6am on June 10th. Hmmm I'm not so much of a morning person so I figured setting the alarm clock would be easy enough. Evidently it wasn't, luckily I woke up on my own at 5:30am, not usually what happens. I knew I wouldn't have time to take a shower and get the girls ready so I figured I'd better get a move on. I must have been still half asleep and frustrated at my shower dilema because as I was running out of my bedroom to wake the girls I slammed my little toe into the wall. I thought it would be just a stubbed toe but the pain ended up not going away and I couldn't put an ounce of weight on it. So here I am no shower, broken toe, trying to get the girls ready, sounds like a fun morning.


We drive up to the gym where Darryl's Brigade will be reunited w/ their families, and there was not a parking space to be had. So I just decided to park across the street. Let me just say that was the longest hop of my life (but definitely worth it). We didn't make it to see the live video footage of Darryl's plane landing and the soldiers getting off the plane Top Gun style, but we did make it in time to get a seat and wait for about an hour for him to be bused from McChord to Fort Lewis. Cora was getting so impatient. As they lined up in formation the band played a few songs, a few words were said and they were released to their families. I decided to stay put in one place w/ my toe the way it was and let him find us. Meanwhile Cora was sobbing holding onto my leg because so many other families had already found their soldiers. It seemed like an eternity before Darryl found us. My dear friend who took these wonderful pictures finally saw him and waved him over to us.
As soon as Cora saw him she took off in a full sprint wrapped her arms around his neck and I can't remember when she finally let go. All my worries melted away at this point..my toe, no shower, missing the plane touchdown, he was in our arms, finally here, nothing else mattered and that's how it should be. I can't thank my friend enough for being there with me, finding Darryl amongst the 315 other soldiers who all looked very similar, and taking such precious photos of a special time for our family.
That night I got on my knees and prayed with many thanks to Him for bringing us together again. My heart is so full.

24 comments:

Marie said...

wow that is amazing Laurie. Just reading that post made me tear up remembering how it felt when Derek came home. It is truely an amazing feeling. I am so glad that your hubby is home safe!! You are such a strong woman:) Welcome home!!!

Sarah said...

LOVE IT Laurie, and the pics are great. Don't forget my babysitting offer--act fast, it expires soon. (That's just to get you to really do it--LOL.) Welcome home Darryl!!

April said...

You can see absolute joy in Cora's face. I think her face has been different the few times I have seen her in the last week. She is truly happy. Hopefully that helps in other departments with her:) I am so happy for you. I cry when I think about it, and the post didn't help. SOOOO Happy Darryl is home. Can't wait to see all the pics.

SpaceyKasey said...

Congratulations!

I am so fully, richly happy for you. Thanks for making me cry.

Rhea said...

I am so happy for you!! Those pictures are just priceless, I am so glad that you have your family all together again. Welcome home Darryl and thanks for all your service! Laurie hope your toe feels better soon;)!

Lisa Beeson said...

Sounds like something that would happen to you ;o) But you persevered my sister! And your wonderful family is back together! I'm soooo happy for you. I love you guys so much!

Jamie C. said...

It was so nice seeing you together as a family on Friday. I agree with April, Cora looked like she was beaming! We are so happy for your family! Congratulations on a safe return and enjoy your time together!

Anonymous said...

Cora's expression make my heart melt. you can see she's so happy to she her daddy. it's great to have darryl back safe and sound. from the sounds of it he doing better than you (your toe:) welcome home darryl!

Rebecca said...

Congratulations! I am so thrilled for all four of you.

These photos are amazing. What a priceless treasure.

Thanks to your whole family for the sacrifices you have made.

Amanda said...

There is never a soldier reunion that doesn't make me cry! Even after I see the same news clip several times. I still cry every time. I am so happy for you. What a relief to finally have Darryl home.

Jennifer said...

YEAH!!! Nothing more needs to be said!

amy said...

Welcome HOME Darryl!!! Good job keeping your head down. So glad you're home safe and LOVE the pictures!!!

Dents said...

What great pictures. For somebody that didn't shower, you look pretty great. What a frantic morning you had! How hard that must have been for Cora to see other kids reuniting with their dads, and she hadn't found hers yet. That picture of Cora and Darryl is so sweet. So glad you are together again.

The Long Family said...

I am so happy for you! What a sweet reunion!!!

sixlayerdip said...

I love it!! Those pictures are great! I'm so happy for you all! At the picnic I was talking to Darryl and Cora just needed him back! It will be great for Shay to get to know her daddy too! Welcome home!!

Nicole said...

Laurie, that was wonderful. I am very happy for you. I know you are an amazing woman. Enjoy your Hubby!

mom said...

I love the pictures and am so happy that Darryl is home!

Jodi Loveland said...

So glad to hear that you are together again as a family.
I told Derek before his arrival that we would just stand where we were and he was to come to us so we wouldn't get lost in the crowd. As you said, thank goodness for friends. His friend (who recognized us from Derek's pictures, he had never seen us in real life) showed him where we were and my friend who was there with me showed me where Derek was was. Crazy!
Hope you are having a great time together again!!

Dana said...

Laurie,

I'm sitting here with tears in m eyes. I'm so glad he made it home safely. Hope to see you next week. Brooke has been begging me to play with Cora.

Cathy said...

I am so happy to see some pictures of that amazing day and I'm grateful I was able to see your little family united before we left. We miss you all!

Mitzi said...

These are great pictures. I am so happy that your family is back together and safe!

Sweeney Household said...

I found your blog thinking you may be a cousin (my maiden name is FISHER).... I am so happy for your family to have your husband and dad safely home. What a moving story you shared. You must be so proud of him for serving our country.

Marie said...

Hey i went private and i got a new blog address so if you want to still read my blog go to my old blog and leave me your email address so you can read up!! That sounds so much more complicated then it should be!!!

Luellens said...

I just found you on here. I read this and it brought tears to my eyes. You summed up I think how every wife or family member feels the moment they see their loved one again. You have the most amazing pictures on here. I look forward to staying up to date with you. So glad Darryl is home. Cora is so precious!