Saturday, September 29, 2007

Somewhere Out There



So we're six plus months into Darryls deployment now. We've really made some good progress and definitely have a good amount of time behind us. We're anxiously awaiting our visit with him on his R&R break at the end of October. This is the way I am journaling for now, so I wanted to write about some of things that have been noteworthy during our time apart.
~
Soon after Darryl left Cora was invited to a friends birthday party. The invitation was deliverd in a glass slipper with the invitation rolled up like a scroll inside the shoe. She would unravel the scroll and clear her throat and say "hear he hear she....my Dad has gone away, flew into the sky. But I can be brave, I can be strong." It was so cute I wish I had filmed her doing it. Maybe I could get her to recreate it. Hmmm
~This picture of Darryl and the girls was taken right before he left...melts my heart. We took this picture and put it on some pillow cases for the girls and I so that we could hug Daddy (our pillows) goodnight. We took a family photo and made a pillow case for him so he could hug us too.
~Shay loves the telephone. If I forget to put it up high...she'll take it any chance she can get, to grab it and just start pushing random numbers. The cutest thing is when she puts it to her ear and says "hi Dada". She's been doing that since Darryl left. Love it and I have filmed her doing that.
~Everynight when Cora sees the moon she says Darryl is there looking down at our house. Hmmm...moon/Iraq....I'm happy with her thinking he's on the moon at this age. Anyway on that note I thought it was appropriate for the Somewhere out there song.

~Cora has a small birthmark on the back of her left arm that resembles a small heart with an arrow going thru it..
(crazy I know, but true). So she pointed to her chest the other night and said Jesus is in this heart, then pointed to her arm and said Daddy is in this one.
28 Days and counting

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh Laurie the girls are so sweet and I am sooo glad that you get to be with Darryl, at least for a couple of weeks, very soon! Love that picture!

April said...

Just seeing that picture made me cry. I love you Laurie and I love your strength. I too am counting down your days until you see your sweetheart again.

Jamie C. said...

Laurie, what a sweet picture! That makes my heart ache for you! You are an amazing mom who is so great with those girls. Those were such sweet stories, I'm glad you have them written somewhere. What a great idea with the pillowcases. I am so glad you get to see Darryl soon, enjoy your cruise!

Roeckers said...

WOW 6months down!! You rock! Way to go! Half way done. I don't look forward to those days again.

I am so excited he will be home and the girls will have there daddy for a few weeks. Some of my fondest memories are of the kids with J on R&R.

Look forward to seeing some updated photos of the whole family

Sara said...

I am so excited for your hubby to come home. It will be so nice for you to get out of this crummy weather and enjoy some sunshine. By the way, any late night snacks lately? We need to help each other...remember!!!