Friday, May 30, 2008

Giving Thanks


Solo Point at sunset.
I thought it was kind of fitting with the name, sunset, at the end of Darryl's deployment.


Ok I know it's been a while, and I've been informed by some that I am way behind and will be lost in the blogging world if I don't make some updates.
So maybe I'm exaggerating a little bit.

I just have to beam. Take a look at the countdown clock over in the right hand corner. I can put partial blame for my lack of posts lately due to cleaning, preparing, getting ready for Darryl's return. I can't even believe it's almost here. I haven't really let myself talk about it too much because I get so emotional when I think of him in our arms again. We just cannot wait. It's been a l-o-n-g 15 months without him.

I was talking to a friend the other day and she mentioned my blog and how a lot of my posts concentrate on the being "grateful" theme. I was thinking about this, and really during this time in our lives I couldn't be more grateful to a loving Father in Heaven who has watched over Darryl while in a war zone both spiritually and physically. I thank him every morning and night and always in my heart. I'm grateful He's watched over and protected our family here at home as well. There were many nights when I would end up scaring myself because of a noise or thought that had come into my mind, and then prayed and was able to feel better and go to sleep in peace. I'm grateful to family and friends for their thoughts and prayers in ours and Darryl's behalf. There were so many moments when I felt my energy and stamina were renewed and I was able to not only press on but to do so positively. We were so happy to have visits from Darryl's sister Rebecca and my sister Lisa and nephews last summer. To my parents who let us come and visit during Darryl's R&R in October and then let us stay through the holidays so that we weren't at home alone. My undieing thanks go out to friends that checked in on us, had us for dinner, made dinner for us, brought us treats, helped w/ yard work, helped w/ the computer, and were just there to talk to, laugh, and cry with (and of course blog with). It made all the difference in the world. All of those gestures never went unnoticed or unappreciated.
This definitely has been a season of thanks and gratitude for me. May that virture always be a priority in my life.
* Stay tunned for reunion pictures!

10 comments:

Rebecca said...

Congratulations on only four more days! Thank you for writing about the times that you have felt lifted, guided and protected. Not only have you done another deployment with grace, but in the process you have strengthed others more than you know. Please give our love to Daryl. We'll be thinking of you on Wednesday!

Crazy Herb Girl said...

I am so glad you are updating. I've checked and checked waiting to hear for the news for when he is coming home! YEAH! It won't be long now :-) If you head this way be sure to let us know!

Unknown said...

We are so excited for you!!! I can't believe it's only a week away.

Jamie C. said...

So exciting Laurie! I'm so happy for your family to be together! I can't wait for reunion pictures...I know they'll make me cry!

Jennifer said...

I am so excited for you. It makes me tear up remembering how I felt when Dave got home from 12 months. And you have done 15! What a woman!!! I officially volunteer to babysit on an evening if you want to go out.

Nicole said...

I am excited for you! There is a sister in our ward who has a husband deployed and as I watch her I think of you. I have been inspired by your "grateful" blogs. Life is sweeter when we stop to give thanks.

amy said...

my goodness I remember when he left. It has been such a long time! Bless your heart. I am so excited for you!!! Cant wait to see pictures :)

sixlayerdip said...

Laurie, I'm counting down with you!! Wow! This is so exciting! I was going to offer to help you paint your bathroom but that will be a fun project to do with Darryl even if he doesn't know it yet! And sorry we never made it to the temple! Well, now you and Darryl can go and I can watch your kiddos for you!

Dents said...

We are very happy for you. What a feat of strength a 15 month deployment is. You can do anything! I remember feeling the extra strength I had, while Greg was deployed. So much so, that a few days after he returned I could feel "it" missing. Maybe because my family and friends had stopped praying for us :) I look forward to the reunion pictures.

SpaceyKasey said...

I've been thinking about you and Darryl this week. I'm THRILLED for you and so grateful for him and his sacrifice. And yours.

I remember his testimony in Leesburg Ward years ago. What an amazing guy.

Love you. Kiss the girls for us.