Thursday, January 24, 2008

My Brother, David


I wanted to write this post last month on the 14th of December for my older brother David's birthday. I was at my parents house and the scanner on their computer wasn't working so I decided to hold off until I got home.
I wanted to write about David to let him know I am thinking about him and to keep my memories of him in the forefront of my mind. I also want Cora and Shay to get to know their Uncle too. It has been 6 years since David was in a fatal car accident. It was just a month after Sept. 11th so the date and time frame will forever be etched in my mind. How our family misses him. Especially at family get togethers, holidays, and birthdays. I'm so grateful for his example. We watched him endure 11+years of having cancer and dealing with a brain tumor with countless treatments, chemotherapy, and surgeries. Doing it all with grace, humility, and his positive attitude. David definitely was not perfect..but he showed me how the power of the Atonement changed his life and brought him peace especially dealing with such difficult challenges.
I'm so grateful to have an older brother who still watches over me and our family. My friend Jennifer posted a beautiful message about close knit ties within the family and how when she prayed at the end of her prayer she would have a PS. to her Papa. This hit home to me....because I do that even today with David. We're thinking of you...and miss you.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

How hard it is to lose loved ones. My Dad is very sick in the hopsital right now and I'm srtuggling being way up her in Washington held down by a brnad new baby. I truly believe though that our relatives that have passed on look after us still. I know they are always rooting for us to chose the right so that we can all be reunited in the end.

Jamie C. said...

That was a really nice post Laurie. I'm sure your brother is proud of you and all you do.

Dana said...

Wow, Laurie,
What a profound blog entry. It reminded me just now that the anniversary of my foster sister's death was this month. It's been about 9 years. Thank you for sharing such a personal experience.