Tuesday, March 18, 2008

One Year

Today marks one year from the day Darryl left to go to Iraq. I can't believe we've come this far and made it to this milestone. In a way it is such a huge relief and I couldn't be happier. We have just about 3 months to go. I've been fighting the other emotions that I've been feeling which is the tired, worn out, are we there yet, types of feelings. I figure it's ok to feel all of them. The hardest part or the biggest speed bump that I think I have to overcome is that with Darryl's first deployment at this point he was home. Not this time. My brother Tim called on Sunday and said "don't look at where you've come from with the time that has past. Just look forward. Three months, piece of cake."
These are the latest pictures Darryl has sent. They were taken this last week he was out traveling. One of the biggest lessons I have learned during this deployment has been to learn to see things from another's point of view. As I sat home worried for Darryl's safety as a moving target, he was having totally different feelings about his sanity. Being on the base over there day in and day out in Darryl's words can start to feel like a prison. It's so restrictive and the walls start closing in around you.
Darryl was excited to travel to see new faces and people. Seeing these pictures also helped me to remember why he is there and that there is great purpose in helping these people. To hear Darryl describe these children after not seeing his own for such a long period of time was so sweet. He spoke of the way this father and grandfather were so proud holding their sweet little daughter/grandaughter up in the air so Darryl could see her. Truly children and love can break all barriers that make us different. I am so proud of Darryl and my heart is so full. He is a good and honorable man. Many look up to him and see his good example. I'm grateful for his service to his country and to the people of Iraq. Hang in there honey!

7 comments:

Sarah said...

You are inspiring, Laurie. Hang in there, you can so do this. It's great that you express yourself so poignantly for others to learn from your experience. Please let me know if you ever need a break--your kiddos are always welcome at my house!

Anonymous said...

I think you're right about looking at things from another perspective, or trying to understand someone's defferences. I try to do that all the time to make sure I don't fall into a self centered slump of thinking "I'm always right." (politically, socially, and emotional)

Darryl will be home before you know it. Hey, maybe even in time for a little softball! I'm excited for him to get back and give me a hard time for being so liberal. Being that he is just a little bit conservative:)

You're awesome! 3 fast Sunday's left!

Jodi Loveland said...

That's awesome! I remember having the same feelings when we hit the year mark. We are down to only about 5 weeks. So close, yet still so far away!! Keep smiling the end will get here before you know it. (That's what I keep telling myself anyway. :) )

Cathy said...

Laurie, you are amazing and have been so strong. You are a great example to me. Keep it up and time will fly!

Dents said...

One year...I have been emotional this past week, as I remember the feelings I had last year at this time. I remember Darryl's last Sunday at church, knowing Greg would soon follow. Your deployment has been so much longer. I am so glad you and your darling girls will be in Darryl's arms soon.

Sara said...

I am so excited for you that your time to see Darryl is coming so fast. You are seriously such a trooper. I never hear you complain and you always have a smile on your face. WE all have so much to learn from you! Thanks for being such a great example.

Jamie C. said...

Congrats! One year is huge! 3 little, tiny, short months left! You can do it! I heard how you spent the big night celebrating...what better way then with crazy, wild children? :) You are truely amazing, I'm so excited that your family will be reunited soon!