Tuesday, February 5, 2008

One Clear Voice


Sometimes I forget that it is just not being apart from Darryl that is the most difficult part of the deployment...but the danger he is often in as well. On Friday night I had feelings I haven't had since Darryl's 1st deployment when his sleeping quarters were hit with an incoming morter. During his 1st deployment a morter hit the concrete blocks surrounding his sleeping area causing Darryl and his mattress to be hurtled across his room. We are so grateful that is all that happened for it could have been much worse. I had a sinking feeling that night that something was wrong. I couldn't sleep and my chest was tight. It was pretty horrible. I said a prayer that night and a feeling came over me that everything would be ok. I talked to Darryl 2 days later and low and behold he told me the story. (I don't know if I explained it right but I had no idea at the time what was going on when I was having those feelings).
So here we are Friday night...I couldn't sleep, tight pains in my chest, uneasy feelings like I can't explain. Again I said a prayer and was finally able to go to sleep. Come to find out on Sunday Darryl told me 4 rockets had landed in his living/work area on the base. Needless to say I'm grateful that we are so connected. I'm grateful for the Holy Ghost who can comfort and give us peace when we need it the most. I am grateful for my brave husband who tries to bring peace and comfort to those he serves with by bearing his testimony and giving of his time and talents. I almost forgot and I am happy to say that no one was hurt (too badly anyway).
I think there was one soldier who had some minor scratches, but Darryl said for those size rockets and for 4 of them that is a miracle. Be safe my dear soldier.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOw...I can't even imagine what that must be like for you. When Drew's out of town on business the biggest think I have to worry about is him tripping up an escalator:)You're awesome; he'll be home soon!

Roeckers said...

Glad all is well, how very scary! ~HUGS~ What would you do without that blessing of prayer?!

P.S.That picture is a great one of Darryl.

Jamie C. said...

I am so glad that everything is ok. What an awful feeling to have! I'm so glad that you were able to be comforted! What an testiment to your relatinship, that over all those miles, you are still close and connected with Darryl!

Cathy said...

Laurie, you are a trooper. Darryl is blessed to have such a loving wife who listens to her promptings so that she can bless him from afar. I hope Darryl and his fellow soldiers aren't too shaken up and that they can continue to focus on their job in order to make it home soon!

Sara said...

So glad the Daryl is ok. How scary but how great that you are so close to the Spirit that you can feel comforted when you need to. We are praying for your family!

The Long Family said...

Hey Lori,
I am so glad you came to my blog!! I had no idea your husband was in Iraq! I will keep you him and your whole family in my prayers!!