Friday, February 29, 2008

A Special Friend...Remembered Always

A lovey, a special blanket, best friend, that was Cora's little Nemo blanket all wrapped into one. Nemo and Cora have always had a special connection. I remember going to see Finding Nemo when I was 9 months pregnant with Cora. And then buying the DVD for her when it came out. She loved the movie and absolutely fell in love with Nemo. She wanted to watch it all the time. Darryl's parents saw a little blanket Nemo and sent that to Cora for her 2nd Christmas in 2004 during the 1st year Darryl was deployed to Iraq. That was it...they were inseperable. Nemo went everywhere with us. Of course whenever she had Nemo...the thumb went right in the mouth too. Ultimate security. With Darryl being gone..how could I limit such comfort.

Cora could not go to sleep at night if she didn't have her Nemo blanket. I tried limiting him as much as I could during the day but somehow she would always go and rescue him from her room. So we'll fast forward to 2007. We've been to the dentist a couple of times and he has advised limiting Nemo which would help with the thumb sucking and her teeth ultimately that were starting to form right around her thumb. I had wanted to make the transition several times before Darryl left on his 2nd deployment..but just didn't have the heart. She needed Nemo now more than ever (at least that is what I thought). So we go to Florida in October of 2007 to meet up with Darryl for his R&R. I was determined to set limits. She could only have him at night. So I would hide him during the day. In various closets..under the bed, behind furniture. Cora thought this was fun and made it her day's goal to find Nemo at all cost. Hmmm "Finding Nemo". She would preform death defying climbs in the closet to rescue her beloved blanket, and look endlessly until she found him. One day I guess I hid Nemo too well..or Shay got a hold of him somehow...but Cora didn't find him that day and I couldn't either. I forgot where I put him.
Cora struggled for a few nights. She still prays everynight that Grandma will find Nemo and then send him to WA. It was hard for Cora to leave FL without Nemo..but somehow I think it was OK because he was still somewhere at Grandma and Grandpa's house. As far as guilt goes on my part I don't think this could have happened a better way. Nemo has retired to Florida. Tatered and torn but loved more than any little Nemo blanket could be loved we know he is safe in Florida. In fact in the his last days spent with Cora she was wearing him on her head because of the hole that had worn through on the blanket part. Cora no longer sucks her thumb and I can already see the difference in her teeth. She had a permanent calus on her thumb where it would rub on her teeth and now that is gone too. Oh little Nemo...how Cora misses you. You will always be remembered and you will always have a special place in Cora's heart.

5 comments:

Jamie C. said...

I still think that is so funny that Nemo got hide so well he's lost! What a way to break the habit though, cold turkey. I might just have to resort to that too!

April said...

I can't believe how fresh and clean Nemo looks in those first pictures. I only knew the Nemo who has been loved to the max. I am glad she is surviving this, I agree, it couldn't have happened a better way.

Dana said...

I remember that blanket! I think Brooke grabbed it once, or she left it in nursery or something.

sixlayerdip said...

Oh, poor Cora! But at least Nemo is OK at Grandma and Grandpa's house!I remember you telling me how excited she was to go on the Nemo ride at Disney World! It was really fun.

Anonymous said...

Finding Nemo--that's funny. I'm glad she's finally at peace with Nemo.